If you are like most of us, you have only rather limited money that you can give to charities, and you want to make it count. Luckily there are a number of charities that can do hundreds of times more good with your donation than most others. Effectively, you will donate hundreds of times as much. Way to feel like a major philanthropist!
These are the charities that we are confident do the most good with your donation thanks to a recommendation by either GiveWell or Animal Charity Evaluators, two organizations that continually try to find the best charities in the world.
- Animal Equality, which advocates for farmed animals through media outlets, grassroots outreach, undercover investigations, and legal and corporate outreach. Animal Charity Evaluators recommends it as standout charity.
- The Good Food Institute promotes and develops alternatives to animal-based meat, dairy, and eggs. They provide support to cellular agriculture and cultured meat companies, including building relationships with distributors and retailers and driving research and development of the products. Animal Charity Evaluators recommends it as top charity.
- Mercy For Animals, which advocates for farmed animals through undercover investigations, corporate and legal outreach, online vegetarian ads, and grassroots outreach. Its programs and their cost-effectiveness are close to Animal Equality. Animal Charity Evaluators recommends it as top charity.
- The Humane League, which advocates for farmed animals through online advertising, grassroots outreach, public campaigns, presentations, and corporate outreach. Its has a stronger focus on research and push communication online than Animal Equality. Animal Charity Evaluators recommends it as top charity.
Other Outstanding Charities
The following are charities that we think are also doing tremendous good, in some cases perhaps more than our top recommendations, but we are slightly less confident of that. Most of them are organizations that generate donations for highly effective charities like the above.
- All organizations endorsed as top or standout charities by GiveWell or Animal Charity Evaluators.
- The Against Malaria Foundation, one of GiveWell’s top charities. It funds mosquito nets for malaria prevention. Distributions of these nets are among the most cost-effective life-saving interventions known to exist. We mention it separately because of our extensive support of the foundation.
- GiveWell itself, which researches causes, interventions, and charities to find the most effective ones.
- Animal Charity Evaluators itself, which researches causes, interventions, and charities in the area of animal welfare to find the most effective ones.
- The Effective Altruism Foundation, which researches and takes strategic action to alleviate the suffering of all sentient individuals.
- The Centre for Effective Altruism, which serves as an incubator for highly effective charities or metacharities.
- Giving What We Can, which accepts pledges from effective altruists who plan to donate at least 10% of their income.
- 80,000 Hours, which provides career coaching for everyone who wants their life to have the greatest possible positive impact.
- Charity Science, which experiments with different ways to conduct outreach and fundraising.